Born and raised in Southeast Minnesota
Jeremy Miller is a lifelong resident of Southeastern Minnesota. Born and raised in Winona, Jeremy graduated from Winona Senior High School in 2001. After high school, Jeremy received his associate degree in accounting from Minnesota State College Southeast Technical. He and his wife, Janel, still live in Winona along with their three sons. Read more about the values that drive Jeremy.
Jeremy is an entrepreneur and a small business owner. He is the fourth generation to be involved with his family scrap and recycling business, Wm. Miller Scrap Iron & Metal Co., which dates back to 1910.
Jeremy is also a sports enthusiast—and a passionate Minnesota Vikings fan! He enjoys playing sports and doing other outdoor activities, including running, fishing, and spending time on the Mighty Mississippi River with his family.
A chance to serve
In 2010, seeing an opportunity to serve the communities he loves, Jeremy decided to run for the Minnesota State Senate. After a hard-fought campaign, Jeremy was officially sworn in as a State Senator in January 2011. Jeremy currently represents District 28, which includes Fillmore, Houston, and Winona counties. He was re-elected in 2012 and 2016.
As a State Senator, Jeremy has been a strong advocate for issues related to health care, education, higher education, farming and agriculture, veterans, and workforce development. Jeremy is also a champion for our senior citizens, people with disabilities, and Minnesotans living with mental health issues.
A leader among his peers
Jeremy has served in a variety of leadership roles during his time as a Minnesota State Senator. Most recently, Jeremy was elected by his colleagues to serve as the President of the Senate—the youngest Senator in state history to serve in this role. Additionally, Jeremy has served as Chairman of the Senate Jobs and Economic Growth Committee, Deputy Senate Majority Leader, and has served as both the Ranking Member and the Vice Chair of the Senate Higher Education Committee.
A desire to give back
Giving back to the communities in which he grew up has always been an important part of Jeremy’s life. He serves as Vice Chair of the Morrie Miller Athletic Foundation, an organization that has been instrumental in supporting and sustaining youth athletics in Southeastern Minnesota and beyond. Jeremy also serves on the President’s Advisory Council at Minnesota State College Southeast, the Saint Mary’s University Cardinal Excellence Fund Advisory Board, the Winona State University Warrior Club Board, and is an active volunteer in the community.
Jeremy has become known as ‘The People’s Senator’ for his desire to listen to constituents, work together, and do what is best for the people of Minnesota. He knows how important it is to build relationships with people on both sides of the political aisle—because that’s how you get things done at the State Capitol. As a co-founder of the Minnesota Senate’s ‘Purple Caucus’—a bipartisan coalition of legislators that seek a more civil discourse and better collaboration—Jeremy is constantly working to find common ground and make the state legislature a more respectful place. Jeremy says, “It’s time to stop the bickering and start working together toward solutions that are good for the people and the State of Minnesota.”
In fact, a Democratic senator once said of Jeremy: “We represent different political parties, and opposite corners of the state. But we both agreed that the process at the Capitol could work better—that it had to work better.”
- Legislative Champion, Clean Energy Economy Minnesota
- Minnesota Organization for Habilitation and Rehabilitation
- Elected Official of the Year, Economic Development Association of Minnesota
- Arts All Star, Minnesota Citizens for the Arts
- Legislator of the Year, Minnesota Grocers Association
- Hero of the Food Industry, Minnesota Grocers Association
- Outstanding Alumni, Minnesota State College Southeast Technical
- Elected Public Official of the Year, Economic Development Association of Minnesota
- Outstanding Regional Legislator, Southeast Minnesota League of Municipalities
- Certificate of Appreciation, Choices of Southeast Minnesota
- Outstanding Support for People with Disabilities, Minnesota Association of Centers for Independent Living
- Capital Investment Committee
- Higher Education Finance and Policy Committee
- Rules and Administration Committee
- Taxes Committee
- Chair, Legislative Coordinating Commission
- Legislative Commission on Minnesota Sports Facilities
- Legislative COVID-19 Response Commission